Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Storm losses....

I am busy checking nests after the storm that came thru on Sunday. Sadly, there were losses. I had watched three beautiful chicks bopping around on one nest last Saturday, but now, there is only one. This nest was in an area hit hard by hail. I think of what that poor female went thru to survive the storm herself....she took a beating for sure...and she probably couldnt adequately cover three chicks, and the piles of hail probably also caused them to get too cold, in addition to the potential injuries from the impact of the hail. So the fact that she survived and she saved one chick is amazing, and for that, we must be grateful. I am sad tho. Then I found another nest in that area, that had just recently hatched tho the chicks were too small to count, had totally failed. Both adults survived and were seen perching and eating elsewhere. The male even brought a stick, indicating he might build a frustration nest. This is the male who had two nests last year. Now he has none. Perhaps he will rebuild that second nest which may result in another case of polygyny next year! The drama goes on. I am worried about so many other nests, and they are predicting severe weather again tonight. I cannot check 125 nests everytime there is a storm. I will try to make my way around to the areas that seem to have been hit the hardest. The nests in my neck of the woods were all fine. This is nature. These increasingly severe storms are also the result of climate change... six inches of hail on the ground that required snow plows to clear in June. This points to one of the reasons that continuing this research is important. Ospreys are an indicator species, and what happens to this species reveals much about our environment. The health of their population, their productivity rates are important to monitor. I keep trying to move forward with this study, tho we face resistance, and lack of cooperation all the time. Thanks to all who DO help me, who still care, who help me watch over these birds, who offer financial support, who see the value of this long term study. My gratitude cannot be adequately expressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment