Sunday, September 17, 2017

Still here!

Although the winds turned around and became more northerly today, we still have a few Ospreys around. We are no longer checking all nests, but still checking in with a few of our favorites. I checked 8 nests on sept 14 and found three nests occupied, with one adult and two juveniles. Today I visited eight slightly different nests, and a few repeats, and also found three Ospreys, on two nests. One adult male brought a fish to the remaining juvenile, and another nest had a single chick sitting quietly. I assume that male is also still around.
Last week I also got to see one of my favorite males. Those of you who are following this page may remember the male who suffered a fractured keel mid season,spent a month in rehab before I returned him to his nest and family of three chicks. We were all shocked when the female attacked him and would not let him bring fish to his chicks. He kept trying and when the female left on migration, he stepped in and completely cared for his chicks. The two adults reconciled the next
spring. He has always remained one of my favorites. He is a devoted male and wonderful parent. It's always rewarding to see a rehabbed bird who rejoins the population, and continues to be a successful breeding adult. The monitor on his nest had not seen anyone at that nest recently, but I was lucky to catch the chick and the male delivering a fish to her. Fun to have one last chance to observe them.
One of the nest monitors visited her favorite nest today and found one chick remaining in the area. Yes, we have our favorites for sure. Years of watching them brings a familiarity with their behaviors, their favorite perches, and you just can't help but feel a special kinship with some of them.
I believe the single male and his chicks are gone now, as are the oldest male and his two chicks. I still enjoy looking for them, and have also caught a few Ospreys in odd places, perhaps migrating birds, and some young birds far from their nests. How much longer until we can find no Ospreys? I am still keeping my eyes open and my scope with me all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment